Tuesday, December 12, 2006

what kind of blog is this, anyway?

...because I appear to have very little focus. I'd say it's a knitting-food-school-other things leo does hybrid. So here's some knitting!

This is something I've been working on, and they're SO SO CLOSE to being done! Tomorrow, maybe, I will finish them, because I have the whole day to clean up the house and do my laundry before heading to Oregon for Christmas ... so yeah, there will be some knitting breaks involved. Then I can take them home, completed, and show my mom, who I mentioned before reprimanded me recently for working on millions of things at once and told me that I must finish, I think it was three of my current ongoing projects before starting anything else.

(OH, and tomorrow I'll have to think about what knitting project to bring home. OH THE AGONY!)

With no further ado, I give you the socks:


I'll have you know I cut my toenails just for this photo shoot. Ohhh pretty.

So the colors: it's damn dark out in Chicago today. Really ugly weather. So there's no sunlight AT ALL in my apartment. I'd say the most accurate representation of the color of that yarn is on my left foot there, the sock in progress.

Here's the specs: these are the embossed leaves socks from some old Interweave Knits. (I'll be more thorough when posting them as a finished object, I swear...) I'm using Inox US2. I started out using 2 circs, but just switched to magic loop, you know, for the hell of it. I like it. Less just hanging around my hands while I'm knitting. So now that sock in progress is on on 29" US2. The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock (80% superwash wool, 20% nylon) in the color "Sherbet." (surprise surprise, I'm knitting something bright pink!) I started a second skein shortly after the heel on that second sock, so I'll probably end up with about 2/3 of a skein left there... maybe I'll make some bright pink ankle socks!

My thoughts on the pattern so far - what's with the cast-on this pattern calls for? I'm not sure I understand it. Also, although the fancy decreases in the toe that coincide with the lace pattern are neat, I have big-ole feet and I think I could have standed to knit these a little longer. We live and learn, I suppose, and I am learning how to make socks that fit better... Also, I can already tell that the decreases underneath my toes are going to piss me off. But DAMN those are some cute socks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those are cute socks. watch out for foot fetishists/fetishistas!